Friday, January 13, 2023

Lost Between The Shelves

My favorite place growing up in Hickory, NC was the Elbert Ivey Memorial Library. When I got to the age where I could walk into town on my own unattended by an adult, my mom would let me spend afternoons at the library on my own, after we were done home-schooling for the day.

I made so many discoveries there -- of authors and books I still read and treasure today.

It was there that I first encountered Ray Bradbury ("The Martian Chronicles"), Brian Herbert ("Dune"), Orson Scott Card ("Ender's Game") and Douglas Adams ("Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy").

It was also there that I also discovered real, genuine FEAR -- by way of an anthology of scary stories for children, and ABOUT children ("Young Monsters" edited by Isaac Asimov); and it was there that, barely a teen, I dared picked up Stephen King's "Night Shift" and scared myself out of my wits -- and promptly returned the following day for more.

So many fond memories of those days, spending endless summer afternoons, lost in the shelves.

This piece is a tribute to all the bookstores and libraries around the world, but most of all to that one in particular.

No comments:

Post a Comment